[Aroid-l] Amorphophallus hewittii or (the tuber in soil ...)

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus hewittii or (the tuber in soil ...)
  • From: Baumfarn Webmaster <webmaster@baumfarn.at>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 23:21:56 +0200

Some month ago, some of my A.hewittii had lost their last leaf. The majority is still green since 2 years, some even get their next leaf. Since I notices that they love it wet (allthough I read several times never to water dormant plant :-( mea culpa), I watered them a bit afterward. But also this watering I stopped already since months'.
Today I dig them out:
1x vanished
1x shrivled nearly completely
2x shrivles a bit but squashy/mellow/softish (which correct in english?)
1x didn't shrivled at all, but a bit softish

Now this experience gives me some questions:
1) Allthough I stopped watering; but if I watered too much they should all shrivled or vanished or at least clearly died of. But they didn't. Why?? (I hope to save the last 3.) 2) The soil was completely dried off: Why should the tubers be left in soil during resting?? (Aroideana 19) Should this just preserve the roots? The definetly couldn't get any humidity from this 'deserted' soil. 3) I put the last 3 tubers in charcoal. This shoudl save them, if there are any chances?! Or would be an earth/Charcoal mixture better?

Thanks in advance
PS: I hope my english is at least partly understandable?!

treeferns & aroids: http://www.baumfarn.at/treefern (http://www.baumfarn.at)
Amorphophallus network: http://www.amorphophallus.baumfarn.at/

Aroid-l mailing list