Re: [Aroid-l] Spider Mites

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Spider Mites
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:47:07 -0400

Michael is right, they supposedly don't do well if you raise the humidity. I had little luck with that approach, however. If your friend thinks they like Amorphs then he should get a Typhonium venosum and stick it in the corner. They will all go to that corner!

Common wisdom with the two-spotted spider mite is to spray with 2 or 3 different miticides according to the label directions but *rotate* the chemicals used. Spider mites develop immunity quickly because of their short breeding cycle. I had reasonably good results on my Ty. venosums last year when I rotated Kelthane and an Ortho product called "Systemic Insect Killer" with active ingredients Acephate and Fenbutin-oxide (the label says "Formerly Isotox" but I don't think Isotox had the same ingredients). The Ortho product is VERY smelly! Ugh.

He might also try spraying those infested plants with Messenger a couple of days after the miticide. At the very least it won't hurt them and it may give them a boost.

-Ken

D. Christopher Rogers wrote:
Howdy,

Anyone have a good method for dealing with spider mites? The keep popping up in my friend’s greenhouse. They really seem to like Amorphophallus, Xanthosoma, Alocasia, and Colocasia, ignoring everything else. He has been using neem oil, but it seems to kill off leaves. He went to a weaker concentration, which knocks down the mites immediately and saves the leaves, but even after spraying twice a day for two weeks, they just pop right back up. They appear to be the two-spotted spider mite.

Thank you in advance,

Christopher