Re: Fw: Scindapsus

  • Subject: Re: Fw: Scindapsus
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:32:19 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Steve,

Aloha.  I do not know this plant personally.  It is
really difficult to give an identification on sterile
material, but I can comment a little.

There is a Philodendron hederaceum (Jacq.) Schott
'Brasil'.   It is illustrated in Harri Lorenzi's book,
PLANTAS ORNAMENTAIS NO BRASIL,p. 213.  The
unvariegated species is illustrated on p. 212. I have
the third edition.  Dr. Eduardo Gonsalves worked on
the Araceae section, so it would be good to let him
comment on this plant.  According to the book, this
plant is a selection by Ruben Acosta.  Whatever your
plant is, this does look similar....but there are
several look-alike plants.  Lorenzi's text says that
the inflorescence is typical of Philodendron
hederaceum, so if you bloom your plant, that will be
important for proper identification.

Just from your photo, it appears your plant has a very
glossy surface...which is not a feature of
Philodendron hederaceum...could your leaves be wet?

Aloha,

Leland

--- ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wschowa.com/abrimaal/araceum/philodendron/brasil.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wschowa.com/abrimaal/araceum/philodendron/brasil.htm&h=399&w=299&sz=32&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=7VhHS8b0zwSi4M:&tbnh=124&tbnw=93&prev=/images%3Fq%3DPhilodendron%2B%2527Brazil%2527%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN