Re: Mystery Plant

  • Subject: Re: Mystery Plant
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 19:53:12 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Steve,

I looked at your additional photos...I only saw the
first one earlier.  I can add that the lower surface
appears to be glandular-punctate and , if it is
Anthurium longipeltatum, it would belong the Section,
Cordatopunctatum ( sect. nov.)  My plant is growing in
strong light and the geniculum becomes more obvious,
although it is still not strongly pronounced...and it
does start where you indicate on your plant's petiole.
 The geniculum on my plant also has faint tints of
red...which could be a result of the higher light
levels.  It is highly glandular-punctate on the lower
blade surface.  The coriaceous texture is also a
feature our plants share.  The brown persistent
cataphylls are also present in both.  My plant has
bloomed and the inflorescence was erectly held.

--- ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>

> Thanks again Leland.  I'll check TROPICOS.  Although
> not posted yet, I had just asked if the collective
> vein necessarily had to circle the leaf, your
> explanation solves that!  I always appreciate the
> input and your personal assistance.
> Steve
>   Dear Steve,
>   Aloha.  I just took a quick look in the greenhouse
> and
>   I found a plant similar to yours.  However, it is
>   difficult to make a positive identification based
> on
>   sterile non-blooming material.
>   First of all, this is an Anthurium...I can see
> both a
>   geniculum on the petiole and collective vein on
> the
>   leaf blade.  The collective vein does not always
> go
>   around the entire blade.  Sometimes it does not
>   include the back or posterior lobes.
>   This plant resembles Anthurium longipeltatum
> (Matuda).
>    From Oaxaca , Mexico.  This is assuming my plant
> came
>   with the correct identification, but I checked
>   Tropicos and it fits.  Now you need to bloom this
>   plant to see if it comes close.  This sort of
>   identification is very tentative as many plants
> share
>   the characters that your photo reveals.
>   Aloha,
>   Leland