Re: Mystery Plant

  • Subject: Re: Mystery Plant
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 14:13:53 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Steve,

Aloha.  I just took a quick look in the greenhouse and
I found a plant similar to yours.  However, it is
difficult to make a positive identification based on
sterile non-blooming material.

First of all, this is an Anthurium...I can see both a
geniculum on the petiole and collective vein on the
leaf blade.  The collective vein does not always go
around the entire blade.  Sometimes it does not
include the back or posterior lobes.

This plant resembles Anthurium longipeltatum (Matuda).
 From Oaxaca , Mexico.  This is assuming my plant came
with the correct identification, but I checked
Tropicos and it fits.  Now you need to bloom this
plant to see if it comes close.  This sort of
identification is very tentative as many plants share
the characters that your photo reveals.

--- ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>

> Like most of you, I have quite a few plants in my
> atrium I have no idea what they might be.  I'm
> working today to try to identify a few.
> The plant on the page at the link below is one of my
> "mystery" plants.  Although it appears to be an
> Anthurium, look closely at the leaf blade and the
> petiole.  There is no collective vein on the leaf
> and no geniculum on the petiole.  That elimates an
> Anthurium species.  The leaf is very thick and
> coriacious but I have no idea what the species or
> genus may be.  The leaf measures 25.4cm (10 inches).
> I often have people send me specimens in hopes I can
> figure out what they may be and I believe this one
> came last summer.  I put it on a shelf and never
> paid much attention to it until today so I don't
> even know who to tell what it is since the tag is
> lost!  If you have an ID, please let me know.
> Steve Lucas
> www.ExoticRainforest.com
> http://www.exoticrainforest.com/whatisthis.html

Aroid-L mailing list