Re: 10 Amorphophalls Titan plants

  • Subject: Re: 10 Amorphophalls Titan plants
  • From: ronmchatton@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 19:51:44 -0400

Erin:

Off the top of my head I can't remember exactly when we brought them in but 3 years is probably right.  The germination was virtually 100% and their growth rate was shockingly fast.  These you bought are probably on their 3rd leaf by now and they will be 2-3 feet tall as advertised.  I have several of the same population (and they are indeed titanums....its hard to miss that seed) and the corm size varies from about a golf ball up to fist sized depending on how well grown they are.  When I left Worldwide in the summer of 2006, they really languished with no one their who knew anything about growing them.  Several months went by and they were purchased by EFG Orchids in Deland and they've been bringing them to orchid shows around Florida since then.  Unfortunately, most of the really good stuff like decus-silvae, hewittii, lambii, borneensis and hirsutus died in the intervening months of poor care.

The seed were collected for Troy Davis when he was actively selling Amorphs out of Indonesia, first under the name Bali Orchid Garden and then later on his own.  He had located populations of titanum in several locations both at low and high elevations.  To my knowledge all the seeds we brought in were collected from the higher elevation.  The seedlings that EFG is selling come from two collections but at this point it would be impossible to tell which belong to which.  However, they are seedlings so they represent a genetic diversity not available among those that have been flowering here in the last decade.  Before I left Worldwide, I sold 200 of them to a Botanical Garden in Bangkok.  It's sort of ironic that the seed had to travel half-way around the world only to travel back again.  The petiole patterns vary from nearly covered with silvery dots to really coarse spotting patterns and, if you are lucky, you might actually get one with a deep maroon overlay on the lower 1/4 of the petiole.  Don't let anyone tell you titanum doesn't vary much.

Regards,

Ron McHatton
Zone 9
Central Florida