Re: Philodendron williamsii. It isn't what most collectors think!

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron williamsii. It isn't what most collectors think!
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:13:50 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Aroid-l,

Aloha.  I thought I should give the two references
which would clarify this question of Philodendron
stenolobum and Philodendron williamsii.   They are
both species of the subgenus, Meconostigma, and are
written up in the following publications.

Dr. Simon Mayo of KEW, wrote the revision of the
subgenus, Meconostigma in 1991.  He did not split
Philodendron  stenolobum from Philodendron
williamsii...but he did note the differences and
thought that two taxa may be involved between the
Espirito Santo state plants and the Bahia state
populations.  He did not have the  fertile material of
Philodendron stenolobum to compare.

Mayo, S.J. 1991.  A Revision of Philodendron subgenus
Meconostigma (Araceae). KEW Bull. 46 (4):601-681.

Dr. Eduardo G. Gonsalves, described Philodendron
stenolobum as new in 2002.

Gonsalves,E.G. & E.R. Salviani , 2002. New Species and
Changing Concepts of Philodendron subgenus
Meconostigma (Araceae). Aroidiana, Vol 25. pp. 2-15.

If there are disputes, these treatments should clarify
them.

Aloha,

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron%20spiritus-sancti%20PC.html