Re: problem titan question

  • Subject: Re: problem titan question
  • From: Susan B <honeybunny442@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:54:38 -0700 (PDT)

I've heard that young AT don't like their roots disturbed, however I don't know if that is true or not.  If you were poking through the pots looking to see if you had one or two tubers, you may have done some root damage.
How warm is your greenhouse?

ronmchatton@aol.com wrote:
They may just be going dormant.  There's a common misconception that they go dormant for the winter and many of them do however, they really go dormant when the correct time for that particular plant is reached and I've had them stay up for as long as 18 months.  All of mine go dormant this time of the year and come back up about the middle of June.  Look at the petiole for vertical wrinkling.  As the leaf begins to die back it not only begins to yellow but the petiole will start to look like it's drying out.You can gently slip them out of the pot and look at the roots or the corm.  It is correct that they appreciate good water but that doesn't mean sopping wet either.  I find them actually easier to grow if kept just slightly drier.  It's always easier to recover from too little water than it is to recover from too much.

Ron McHatton
Zone 9
Central Florida