Re: problem titan question

  • Subject: Re: problem titan question
  • From: E Morano <ironious2@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:16:55 -0700 (PDT)

I do not have a green house. I want to acclimate them to the outside so they will be stronger plants. If they are like most plants, having them outside will make the leaves  and skin thicker and and more able to stave off disease. I only looked at one plants roots and that one is doing fine, although it is the one that got beat up the most in the mail. The weather is acting very strange. The day before yesterday it was 87 degrees. Yesterday it was 61 and today its 64 and its supposed to be 75 tomorrow.

Im thinking of treating them with Naphthalene Acetic Acid which can significantly increase the number, length and dry weight of root hairs, small roots and large roots. Im thinking that the property that causes an increase in large roots will increase the size of the corm while it is increasing in size. Also using Brassinolide which is a naturally occurring plant steroid normally found in small amounts in all plants. Brassinolide improves plant growth through plant photosynthesis, resistance to cold and water shortage among other things.Im considering Triacontanol. One of Triacontanol's action is in improving photosynthesis by helping the plant locate light. Since light is a primary source of nutrition the benefits of using Triacontanol are obvious. It will also increase cell division. Im also considering Indole acetic acid. Im not sure because a lot of my plants have mutated be cause of Indole acetic acid. What I will be using in conjunction with these hormones is a  Compound Amino Acid Plus Fertilizer 50%.  Most commercial plant nutrients only contain a few of the 70 or more nutrients that plants require. If you add amino powder to your regular plant nutrient it rapidly corrects nutrient deficiencies and generates stronger and healthier plants. It contains seventeen L-amino acids including l-threonine, l-valine, l-methionine and semi necessary amino acids such as l-arginine, l-histidine. The Compound amino acid powder Im using is made from natural protein and easily dissolves in water.  I will also be using  Fulvic acid which is the most plant-active of the of the humic acid compounds.  It's a plant growth stimulator that increases plant metabolism, nutrient intake and improves root growth. And lastly Organic Kelp Extract, NOT kelp meal.  It's 100% organic and is rich with natural hormones, minerals and other elements. Adding even small amounts of it to your regular fertilizer will help ensure that your plants receive more of the 80 or more needed nutrients usually missing from off-the-shelf fertilizers.
It is important to use these fertilizers because of the demand for growth the hormones and steroids will be putting on the plant. You can find these products and more along with this information from http://www.super-grow.biz
Erin
Susan B <honeybunny442@yahoo.com> wrote:
I've heard that young AT don't like their roots disturbed, however I don't know if that is true or not.  If you were poking through the pots looking to see if you had one or two tubers, you may have done some root damage.
How warm is your greenhouse?

ronmchatton@aol.com wrote:
They may just be going dormant.  There's a common misconception that they go dormant for the winter and many of them do however, they really go dormant when the correct time for that particular plant is reached and I've had them stay up for as long as 18 months.  All of mine go dormant this time of the year and come back up about the middle of June.  Look at the petiole for vertical wrinkling.  As the leaf begins to die back it not only begins to yellow but the petiole will start to look like it's drying out.You can gently slip them out of the pot and look at the roots or the corm.  It is correct that they appreciate good water but that doesn't mean sopping wet either.  I find them actually easier to grow if kept just slightly drier.  It's always easier to recover from too little water than it is to recover from too much.

Ron McHatton
Zone 9
Central Florida