Re: Philodenron Burle-Marxii?

  • Subject: Re: Philodenron Burle-Marxii?
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:38:29 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Steve,

Aloha.  This is another case of plant name confusion.

I grow this plant and I got mine from Roberto himself.
 Unfortunately, I cannot fill in much information
about the origin of this plant.  The plant you have
illustrated is, Philodendron 'Burle-Marx Fantasy'.  I
do not believe it to be a hybrid, but I am not sure.
It is a slow grower and as it matures it loses the
markings.  I have seen it with 8 inch blades,but I
have never seen it blooming.  As a vining plant, it is
surprising to me how slow it is...but I do not
fertilize and perhaps my horticultural attention is
faulty.

What makes it confusing is the name.  There is a
Philodendron burle-marxii, which is an accepted name.
This is a slow vining Philodendron species with broad
pendant 2 foot leaf blades.  If it is well grown, it
is very attractive as a totem specimen or epiphyte.
It is best grown from several plants with multiple
growing tips so that it fills out.  It will remind one
of the pendant Anthurium species with narrow
blades...but this Philodendron has blades perhaps 4
inches across.

Then there is Philodendron 'Burle-Marx'.  This is a
common landscape plant in Miami...and I believe it was
Raymond Jungles, ASLA, that introduced this.  This
plant is a fast growing, cordate leaved, vining
Philodendron that is often pruned to form multiple
branching.  it can be used in shade or sun and, if
pruned is often used as a quick groundcover.  There is
a nice planting of it at the Kampong in Miami.

To add to the confusion, there is another Philodendron
ex-Roberto Burle-Marx, that looks very similar to the
previous plant...but it is much smaller and much
rarer.

There are other Philodendron with Burle-Marx's name
attached to them...but, I hope the names are only
associated with his collection, and not added to the
mix of horticultural names...unless they are
distinct...such as P. 'Burle-Marx Fantasy'....which if
it proves to be a species...

Aloha,

Leland
--- ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>