Re: Philodenron Burle-Marxii?

  • Subject: Re: Philodenron Burle-Marxii?
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:47:37 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Steve,

Aloha.  I thought that now would be a good time to
sing the praises of my mentor, Roberto Burle-Marx.  I
think that many do not realize the depth of his
legacy.  I am just going to list plants named in his
honor and then, I will list the named plants that he
discovered...there are many more that are un-named.  I
would also like to add that many of these plants have
had their habitats destroyed, so the fact that some of
these are in cultivation perpetuates some of the
species.  Some may not be in cultivation...but I do
not know the current status of many of these.

Plants named in tribute to Roberto Burle-Marx:

Aechmea burle-marxii
Anthurium burle-marxii
Begonia burle-marxii
Burlemarxia pungens
Burlemarxia rodriguesii
Burlemarxia spiralis
Calathea burle-marxii 'Ice Blue'
Calathea burle-marxii 'Snow Cone'
Chaetostoma burle-marxii
Cryptanthus burle-marxii
Ctenanthe burle-marxii var. burle-marxii
Ctenanthe burle-marxii var. obscura
Dyckia burle-marxii
Encylia burle-marxii
Heliconia burle-marxii
Hohenbergia burle-marxii
Mandevilla burle-marxii
Merianthera burle-marxii
Microlicia burle-marxii
Neoglazovia burle-marxii
Neoregelia burle-marxii
Orthophytum burle-marxii
Philodendron burle-marxii
Pitcairnia burle-marxii
Pleurostima burle-marxii
Pontederia burle-marxii
Vellozia burel-marxii

Plants discovered by Roberto Burle-Marxii

Aechmea correia-araujei
Aechmea flavo-rosea
Aechmea grazielae
Barbecenia minima