Re: Best way to root Alocasia odora?

  • Subject: Re: Best way to root Alocasia odora?
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 07:51:36 -0500

Ken, just plant it in loose soil and watch it grow!  I was given one small plant in 1996 and we now have to dig them up and throw them away every summer!  We probably gave 10 big plants away last summer and threw away that many more.  They grow like weeds if kept humid and somewhat damp.  I've had them lay over on the ground and grow 2 meters sideways with new plants coming up along the way.  It is a very lovely plant but be prepared.  It will spread and grow!

Steve Lucas

Ken Mosher wrote:
I ordered some Alocasia odora recently and they didn't arrive as tubers
(I think they're tuberous?) but as cuttings of some kind. What is the
best way to root them?

For now I've wrapped the bottom 3" or so in damp sphagnum moss and
enclosed that in a plastic bag.  Is there a better way? Would a certain
temp speed up the process?

Please see the attached photo, which I've shrunk in deference to those
who protest large attachments.

Ken Mosher