Re: Best way to root Alocasia odora?

  • Subject: Re: Best way to root Alocasia odora?
  • From: "Christopher Rogers" <crogers@ecoanalysts.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:25:48 -0700

Howdy, Ken!

I have done this with Alocasia gageana and macrorrhiza.  Pot in a smallish pot with sphagnum/ peat/ perlite and put the pot in water up to just above the side drain holes. Keep the plant above the water line. When roots start coming out of the bottom of the pot you are set. At this point I usually pot in peat/ sand/ pumice in a pot twice as large (at least) as the first pot and again put the pot in a basin of water to the drain holes for at least a month before removing the water all together. These species often grow close to water, sometimes right in shallow areas, but like Zantedeschia, they need less water the older and more established they become.

Good luck,

Christopher

D. Christopher Rogers

((,///////////=======<

EcoAnalysts, Inc.

1.530.383.4798

P.O. Box 4098

Davis, CA 95616

USA

ŸInvertebrate Taxonomy

ŸEndangered Species

ŸEcological Studies

ŸBioassessment

ŸInvasive Species

ŸPlankton

ŸPhycology

IDAHO ∙ CALIFORNIA ∙ MONTANA ∙ MISSOURI ∙ PENNSYLVANIA ∙ ONTARIO

WWW.ECOANALYSTS.COM  ∙ ECO@ECOANALYSTS.COM