Aroid l participation

I had a really nice visit from an aroider and his wife who live near Oklahoma City this weekend and felt I needed to pass this along as a result of how much Aroid l has meant to me personally since I began participating in approximately 1994 or 1995.  There are many notable aroiders names that are among the most knowledgeable people in the world of aroids that I rarely see contributing to Aroid l any longer.  Guys and gals, if no one else does, I MISS YOU!  You are important to Aroid l and those who are new to aroids will love hearing from you.

I must tell all of you that Dr. Croat is currently in Colombia which is why we are not reading his valuable responses at the present time and won't be until mid-May.  Aroid botanist Pete Boyce in Malaysia is always great at adding his valuable input as well but there are incredibly bright aroiders (including a bunch of PhD's and former IAS officers) from Australia to Hawaii to California, over to Michigan, and from the northeastern United States down through the tip of Florida that don't contribute and share their "brains" as often as they once did.  I won't call you by name (yet) but there are many people I especially miss hearing from in California and all over the United States (Michigan and South Florida) as well as In the South Pacific, the Indo-Pacific, Europe and Brazil and other South American countries so I urge all of you to begin sharing your knowledge once again with the many new aroiders now on Aroid l that are hungry for your knowledge just as I was (and am) hungry to read what you have to say.  All of you have traded many emails with me so please begin adding your "two cents" to Aroid l again!  We all need to know what you already know!

My dear friend Julius Boos (one of the most brilliant aroiders I know) used to make this his responsibility at least once each year but while I'm at it, I'd like to encourage all of our new  Aroid l users to consider jointing the international Aroid Society right now.  It is just a few months until the next issue of Aroideana, the  annual journal of the IAS, will be published.  You won't get a copy unless you join!  Membership is "cheap" by comparison to what you will receive in the IAS literature that you'll receive in the mail or via email!  You can easily join inexpensively by visiting the IAS site here:  http://www.aroid.org/   Once you join you'll also receive a "key" that will allow you to explore the information on the IAS website that is not available to the public simply doing an internet search.

One other important thing you'll want to consider is being a part of the International Aroid Show and Sale which takes place at Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Miami on September
19th & 20, 2009.  If you love to collect rare aroid specimens you will not find more available anywhere other than the IAS show!  I've personally managed to bring home several species that are not yet identified to science!  Besides, the visit to Fairchild is worth the trip all by itself!

So to those of you that are not participating as you once did, please rejoin us on a regular!  Aroid l is the way we all share information so use it!  And to those of you that haven't joined the IAS, right now is the time to join!  I've met more great friends through the IAS than I can count!  Joining, and planning a trip to Miami in September, will make your aroid collecting even more interesting!  Please join or rejoin us!

Steve Lucas
www.ExoticRainforest.com

begin:vcard
fn:Steve  Lucas