Re: Unknown Philodendrons

Ferenc, the distribution of most aroids can be found on TROPICOS:  http://www.tropicos.org/

Put in the species name, go to the page, look for distribution at the top right.  A list of countries will pop up.  If you then go to specimens and click there you will find a list of brief descriptions and details of plants observed in the wild.  If you find any located by Dr. Croat be sure and click on his collection number which will be highlighted.  Tom will tell you what he observed about that particular plant. Look to the left of the page and he almost always gives the exact location where the plant was observed including GPS coordinates.

 If you read all of his collection data you will find many plants are highly variable, often in the shape of the blade and a variety of characteristics sometimes including color.  For those that are not familiar with variation this may help:
http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Natural%20variation%20within%20aroid%20and%20%20plant%20species.html

Regarding the plant Ecuadoran sells as "Anthurium coriaceum" I have ordered a total of 6 of those plants.  Even though the juvenile "appears" to be A. coriaceum the adult is not that species.  The photo they show on their site is an adult of a plant that may be unknown to science.  I have given one of the plants to another serious collector to grow and examine and another is already in the MOBOT collection.since Dr. Croat appears to feel this may be new to science.  I am taking a second larger plant to him in three weeks and have already collected an inflorescence from that plant which has now been pickled for study.  I have also dried a full leaf and petiole to add to the dried specimen in the MOBOT collection.  The last information I received Tom is hopeful to key it out which will determine  if it is known to science or an unidentified species.  Part of the characteristics match to a known species but the color of the spathe does not match.

I am attaching Ecuagenera's photo of the plant they sell with the name "coriaceum" and you can see the actual species on TROPICOS here:  http://www.tropicos.org/Name/2100546  The Ecuagenera plant is pendent while the true species has blades that stand erect.

The leaves of my largest plant are now close to 30 inches (75 cm) and have begun to turn pendent rather than being upright as would be normal for the true Anthurium
coriaceum.

Grow it well because you may have something with no name at this time.

Steve
www.ExoticRainforest.com

.