Re: More on Monstera dilacerata

  • Subject: Re: More on Monstera dilacerata
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:09:17 -0500

I am no expert on this, I just rely on those that are.  Tom will tell you TROPICOS is not kept up to date as is CATE.  He mostly relies on CATE or the World Checklist and frequently refers me to one or the other.

Mike Grayum is quite the expert on Monstera so my suggestion would be if you don't believe the info on CATE then contact Tom, Simon, Mike or Eduardo.  I just do my best to follow their lead.

Michael Pascall wrote:
Did a few more searches today for this sp.
And found it is still a valid species on GRIN ..

Taxon: Monstera dilacerata K. Koch

Genus: Monstera
Family: Araceae subfamily: Monsteroideae tribe: Monstereae.
Nomen number: 312844
Place of publication: A. C. H. Braun et al., App. gen. sp. nov. 5. 1855
Name verified on: 14-Oct-1987 by ARS Systematic Botanists. Last updated: 06-Nov-2006
Species priority site is: Natl. Germplasm Repository - Miami (MIA).

It is still listed on Tropicos as well . So goes to show you cannot believe everything you hear or read .. Is it just that it has not been updated ?

Or mistaken identity with mature foliage that got this statment ..

"The wantonly and inventively misapplied Monstera dilacerata (K. Koch & Sello) K. Koch is revealed to be a synonym of the Asian Epipremnum pinnatum  (L.) Engl., and the obscure Monstera pinnatipartita Schott is neotypified and resurrected for one of the four Costa Rican spp. included under M. dilacerata in Madison's generic revision (Contr. Gray Herb. 207: 1-100. 1977). The redundant combination Monstera dissecta (Schott) Croat & Grayum (1987) is corrected to M. dissecta (Schott) N. E. Br. ex Donn. Sm. (1899). No illustrations. "

I cannot wait for the next revision .

Find it on Domain.com.au Need a new place to live?