Re: More on Monstera dilacerata

  • Subject: Re: More on Monstera dilacerata
  • From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum@googlemail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:30:18 +0800

Dear Michael,

I’m by no means an authority on Monstera, and you must check with Tom on this, but reading through Madison’s synonymy and excluding dilacerata and its homotypical synonyms AND assuming that the description he gives is truly only a single species (far from the case in many of his taxa) AND allowing for the fact that Madison’s revision covers barely a third of the species that probably exist in Monstera AND there are also some blunders in the work, the next available name is indeed M. pinnatipartita.

Neotypified means that the all typical material cited when the name was published in destroyed (or believed so) and that a new type has been chosen to represent the taxon.

Very best