Re: Dracontium amazonense going dormant?

  • Subject: Re: Dracontium amazonense going dormant?
  • From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum@googlemail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 06:34:02 +0800

Hi Vincent

It’s a common misconception that the Amazon (indeed much of the tropics) is bathed in rain. Many tropical areas, including the Amazon, have a marked dry season and often a significant proportion of the trees in these regions will be semi deciduous or even deciduous, and a marked proportion of the herbaceous flora will follow suite. The tuber in Dracontium is there to enable to plant to pass through a leafless resting phase.

Very best