Re: Amorphophallus Chlorophyll missing?

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus Chlorophyll missing?
  • From: Jeremy P <drplantman@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:55:55 +1000

G'day Neil,

Back in 2005 we purchased 4 Titan seeds - all 4 germinated and two were  pale mutants, same as you have. They (the all-white seedlings) grew for a while and then just faded away without turning green or forming a tuber.... which is what I expected really. Kind-a hard to make a life with no (or minimal!) food!

My gut feeling is it doesn't have anything to do with the environment they're germinated in, I'd say it's a genetic thing...

On a side note, I've just recently weighed in one of the siblings @ 10.34 kg after 5 years. It's been averaging a 3-fold weight increase with every leaf cycle (each leaf cycle lasts around 18 months, with a ~2 month dormancy in between)... so perhaps by 2012 she'll be ready to strut her floriferous stuff!

Hope that helps,

Jeremy P
Botanic Gardens Melbourne