Re: Pinellia Polly Spout

  • Subject: Re: Pinellia Polly Spout
  • From: James Waddick <jwaddick@kc.rr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 07:59:20 -0500

>  Pinellia 'Polly Spout' (P. tripartita x P. pedatisecta), ... and P.
>cordata. ...are identical to the original clone except for their
>size, which is uniformly 50% large than the parent...quite

Dear Tony,
	This is quite interesting. Are these larger Polly sterile, also?

	I suppose it is possible that the introduction of pollen from
P. cordata influenced chromosome replication somewhere along the line
and these larger "hybrids" may be triploid or tetraploid. If the
latter they might have increased fertility.

	And it will be interesting to see if Polly and the new larger
Polly that are now growing together  can cross breed.  Is  a fertile
'Super Polly' in the future.?

	Derek if you are in the market for smaller Pinellia I can
recommend both P. cordata and P. peltatum. Both very attractive
smaller less aggressive species.

		Best		Jim W.
Dr. James W. Waddick
8871 NW Brostrom Rd.