Re: Pinellia Polly Spout

  • Subject: Re: Pinellia Polly Spout
  • From: Tony Avent <Tony@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:58:40 -0400

Jim:

Last near the new cross was indeed fertile, but then we have it in a row beside P. 'Polly Spout'.  To really find if it is also self sterile, we would need to move a plant into an isolation block, which we have not done.  We grew additional seedlings from the new cross, and they, like their parents appear to be identical, although they aren't old enough for a size comparison yet.

It was my hope to have some characteristics of P. cordata in the hybrid, but no luck so far.  I also added P. peltata to the isolation block with the original P. 'Polly Spout' in hope of hybrids that have characteristics of both parents.  Stay tuned.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent