RE: ginger

From: on behalf of Dr. Guanghua Zhu
Sent: 	Monday, April 07, 1997 1:48 PM
To: 	Julius Boos
Subject: 	Re: ginger

Dear all,

I know we have some ginger experts on th list.  Would you please
help?  Thank you very much.

> Date:          Sun, 06 Apr 1997 08:09:10 -0700
> From:          Mark Malmgren <>
> Subject:       ginger

> I'm not a botanist...just a gardner and I have a question...
> A freind went to the grocerty store and got a piece of ginger root...he
> roted it and gave me some.  Now it is doing VERY well in my
> garden...growing and multiplying like crazy. I live in Upstate S.
> Carolina where it gets down to 5 degrees in the winter and up to 100 in
> the summers.
> Question: Can I harvest the roots for ginger?  If so, how and when?
> Many thanks
> Mark Malmgren
Guanghua Zhu
Missouri Botanical Garden
P. O. Box 299
St. Louis, MO 63166-0299, USA
Phone: (314)577-9454
Fax:   (314)577-9438
Dear Mark and Guanghua,   I`m NOT a ginger expert by any means, but can give a
few ideas and suggestions that may be of interst-- I think that ginger grown
for it`s rhizome may need a longer growing "season" than is available in
upstate S. Carolina, but I`d try potting it, growing it for as long as
possible[gingers go dormant after a growing season] then after the leaves[all
of them ] are dry, I`d dig it up and see what it produced!   If the rhizome
was insignificant, I`d re-pot it, and grow it for another year, as it just may
require more than one growing season to produce a sizeable rhizome.   Maybe a
true expert can correct or add to this!
        Good luck---Julius