Re: edible aroids

> i doubt that is accurate.  i don't speak vietnamese (bac ha) nor
> cantonese (bok choy) but in taiwanese, peh-tsai ("white vegetable")
> denotes nappa cabbage and is a widespread term that in other chinese
> dialects is applied to other leafy vegetables, including the one that
> we call bok choy, (i suspect "bok" is cantonese for white).=20
> incidentally, "tsai" (taiw.) or "choy" (cant.) not only designates
> leafy vegetables but also is used to mean "dish", as in, "we should
> order two dishes for dinner tonight."

Right. FYI, under the pinyin  system, the same vegetable is written=20
as "bai4 cai4" (the numerals denote the tone).

> 4) here in new york's chinatown, some vegetarian restaurants serve
> dishes made of "yams", including translucent noodles.  i suspect that
> the yams used are not the true yams (dioscoraea) nor sweet potatoes
> (ipomoea), but an aroid, possibly amorphophallus.  would anyone know
> for sure?

Amorphophallus spp. (albus, konjac, etc.) are being cultivated in a
sizable scale in China for the starch.   After processing, the starch
is used to make a variety of food products, from fruit jelly to
noodles, and notably imitation meat products for vegetarians.

--=20
Shing LAM  =AAL=B8=DB     shlam@plato.eee.hku.hk
Hong Kong