Re: Second bite

Heterotroph refers to those organisms that cannot produce their own food
source, (glucose).  Thus fungi, animals etc are considered heterotrophs.
 Many bacteria are heterotrophs but some are also photoautotrophs (use
light to produce sugar), or chemoautotrophs (use chemical compounds
which they oxidize to release energy which in turn they use to make
sugar).  Sounds like fun stuff, huh!

Hope this helps.

(On Wed, 30 Apr 1997

> And the meaning of heterotroph?
>  I found that "heter" means "different", "not alike", and "trop" means
> "turning towards" as to the sun (I couldn't find "troph").  How does this
> translate?  If I had to guess:  Such an inflorescence would be unlike others
> since it would not follow the sun's course?
> Sue Zunino

Richard L. Mansell                             Phone: H(813) 961-7072
Biology Department, LIF 136                           W(813) 974-1588
University of South Florida                    Fax:    (813) 974-1614
Tampa, FL 33620
Home: 13508 Little Lake Place, Tampa, FL 33613-4134
   WWW -