Re: new ID request

Hello Nancy,

>I grew and flowered A. paeonifolius in the ground in central Ohio for over 20 years with no problems.<

I have a question for you about A. paeoniifolius even though I gave my
only nice 'big' bulb away to a friend thinking it was A. odoradus, then
couldn't take it back.  I either got this one from Wilbert H., Dewey
Fisk.  Shamefully I didn't mark that one with a name, so thank you
both!  It was cearly marked as paeoniifolius mind you, but the mind was
saying the other three I have up and growing were paeoniifolius, and
that I had plenty when in reality they were odoradus.  I had been
waiting for WELL over a year (going on two actually) for paeoniifolius
to start growing, and had been sheltering it inside for that long.  I
had no idea it could be grown outside.  It was still nice and firm when
I managed to find it a new home.  Do you know what brings these out of
dormancy?  Does it take a cold spell? I have been watering it off and on
for that long, but it didn't seem to respond to wet spells.  Do you
recall if they like to be kept dry, wet or somewhere in between once
they do start growing so I can pass this on to my friend?  I do have
some new little seeds from Allan Galloway (thanks Allan) to which I can
apply this information also.  I have yet to see this plant.

There is also a question about A. odoradus that I would like to put up
to the list.  The three plants I have growing from Wilbert (thank you
Wilbert, they are beautiful!), are 2' tall with a leaf span of 2 1/2' if
the leaves would spread out like I think they should, and this is the
question.  They are tending to curl under even though they have grown
out of 6" pots and into 1 gallon pots this season.  These are growing
inside, and reach slightly toward the nearest window.  The leaves are
cuplike to the underside.   Do the leaves naturally curl under?  Can
these be grown outside in zone 9?

Thank you all,
Sue Zunino