Re: new ID request

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 Mitsukiwi@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/13/99 11:13:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> lkallus@earthlink.net writes:
>
> <<
>  There's a new request for an ID on the ID site.  The inflorescence looks
>  something like a paeoniifolius to me, but if it's growing in central
>  Kentucky, I find it hard to believe it would be hardy and naturalizing.
>   >>

> Les,
>      Don't let the location throw you.  I grew and flowered A. paeonifolius
> in the ground in central Ohio for over 20 years with no problems.  I would
> find new plantlets in many different places in my yard.  I agree, the picture
> in question looks somewhat like paeonifolius to me also.

I am no expert by any stretch of imagination, but it seesm to me that if
you think that the picture in question looks like A. paeonifolius, then
whatever it was that you grew outdoors in Ohio could not have been
possibly an A. paeonifolius.

Compare the photos of the actual A. paeonifolius inflorescence:
http://hoya.mobot.org/ias/Gallery/Fisk/Amorphophallus_paeoniifolius_2.jpg, or
http://hoya.mobot.org/ias/Gallery/Fisk/Amorphophallus_paeoniifolius_1.jpg,
or http://hoya.mobot.org/ias/Genera/Amorphophallus/inflclose.html, or
http://hoya.mobot.org/ias/Gallery/Fisk/apaeon7.jpg or
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~alan/plants/aroids/amorphophallus/4.html

to http://www.kallus.com/aroids/aroidid/mflower1.jpg and others.

They are so dissimilar, that I can't see how the confusion of the two
could have occurred.

Ohio is mostly zone 5, with traces of 6... Wilbert, is there any chance
that A.paeonifolius could survive -10F in winter ???

KK
"Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking"

Krzysztof Kozminski
kk@netgate.net
http://u1.netgate.net/~kk/