Re: Typhonium seed

-----Original Message-----
From: Victor Soukup <soukupvg@email.uc.edu>
To: ju-bo@msn.com <ju-bo@msn.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 14, 1999 5:59 PM
Subject: Typhonium seed

>Aroid-lers,<

Dear Vic,
Wish I could help, but Typhoniums are only now emerging from dormancy in
Florida now.
Cheers,
Julius

>I have an urgent need for a few berries or seeds (5 to 10) of any
Typhonium species for my study of the acids of seed lipids.  The only
example of Typhonium in my study was carried out on 3 woefully immature
seeds which were pickled.  The results were so completely out of line with
what I expected, that I refuse to believe them.  (They are also the only
results obtained on pickled specimens.)
At the IAS meeting in August, I want to discuss the differences and
similarities between Sauromatum, Typhonium, and Theriophonum.  You will
recall that Peter and Wilbert are planning to submerge Sauromatum in
Typhonium based on various macro and micromorphological  characters.  Based
on the current state of my results (the odd Typhonium result) this would
appear to be a mistake.
Please, someone, try to get me some fresh Typhonium seed or some from a
herbarium sheet (preferably not over 10 - 12 years old), so that I can get
analyses which will either tend to support or to refute the proposed change
of status.

Thanks,    Vic Soukup<