Re: Amorph paeoniifolius

In a message dated 4/19/99 12:03:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hetter@vkc.nl
writes:

<<
 I guess we must settle this point. The said photo is of Dracunculus
 vulgaris. Am. paeoniifolius would not survive subzero (in Celsius that
 is) and looks quite different. For one thing, Dracunculus has a "stem"
 with leaves while flowering. Am. paeoniifolius flowers leafless, and
 there is much more. >>

Hi Wilbert,
     Not to argue with the authorities here but I disagree that A.
paeonifolius will not survive in subzero temperatures in the ground with
protection.  Again, I want to reiterate that I did not say that the photo in
question WAS A. paeonifolius but only that it looked SOMEWHAT like one.  The
plant that I had in Ohio in zone 6 was not a Dracunculus.  I only recently
obtained a tuber of Dracunculus and the leaves and plant in general look
nothing like my A. paeonifolius.  There is no question as to the identity of
the A. paeonifolius that I have had for more years than I care to recount.
My mother also had one planted on the east side of her house in Columbus,
Ohio, again zone 6.  Unfortunately, she has passed away or I would have had
her take a picture of it and post it to the list!  Over a period of years, I
had given quite a few tubers away and they all seemed to thrive there as
well.  I am still growing offsets from the original tuber and if they weren't
dormant, I would post pictures of those to the list also!

Regards,

Nancy Phillips