Re: new ID request

	There are two Dracunculus species, both essentially Mediterranean:  D.
canariensis from far southwestern Europe and the Canary Islands and the
species figuring in the current debate, D. vulgaris, from SE to SW Europe.
Neither occurs naturally in North America.   From the discussion of about
six months ago, you will remember that D. canariensis is tender and will
not stand temepratures much below freezing point, and those only at wide
intervals.  D. vulgaris is rather commonly planted in this area (Cincinnati
-- Southwestern Ohio on the Ohio River) and seems to be hardy.  We seldom
have snow cover  and have on rare occasions (1977-78) had three days of -23
degrees F with days only at -10.  It is thus quite inconceivable that the
plant in question is anything but D. vulgaris, in spite of the poor quality
of the photos.  Of the "hardy" Amorphophallus species, only A. konjac,
supposedly the hardiest, will with proper siting and as necessary winter
protection, over winter here.

Cheers,  Vic SoukupAt 03:16 PM 4/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Consider the confusion to have come from chronic sleep deprivation on an
>uninformed mind.  Now that I've been informed of the true ID, I clearly see
>what it is.
>It wasn't I, though, who was growing it outdoors in Ohio.  In fact, I've
>been there just once.  Anyway, now that I know it's a Dracunculus that
>grows naturally there, I tend to wonder why I paid $15 last year for one
>that rolled over dead within a week of purchase.  (Perhaps I should go back
>to Ohio.)
>            Les

Victor G. Soukup
Department of Biological Sciences