Re: Spathiphyllum

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Boyce <pb02kg@lion.rbgkew.org.uk>
To: ju-bo@msn.com <ju-bo@msn.com>
Date: Thursday, April 22, 1999 2:25 PM
Subject: Re: Spathiphyllum

>>aquarist stores are selling Spathiphyllum cannifolium or S.
commutatum (probably the latter) as a fishtank decorative under
the name 'Kelantan Sword'. Next time you're at Kew, Toby, take a
look the spathiphyllums in the Victoria Tank in the Princess of
Wales Conservatory, they are plants I got as 'Kelantan Sword' from
an aquarist near Heathrow.

Pete<<

Dear Pete,
Are the S. cannifolium in the tank growing (and blooming?)COMPLETELY
submerged, or just as bog plants??   I have also  seen them here in W.P.B.,
Florida being sold in trop. fish stores as an aquatic .   I have seen this
species in the wild in T`dad, W.I.,  growing in shallow areas of
rivers/streams with all roots submerged, and when these streams/rivers are
in flood the plants become completely submerged, leaves and all, for a
period of time.   They are largest and with the most blooms when they grow
in large 'stands' above the river`s water level in the rich loam on the
raised banks .
Cheers,
Julius