Re: selloum any way you can

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: selloum any way you can
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 10:15:59 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil Crafter <golfstra@senet.com.au>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 12:32 AM

Hello Neil, Donna and others!

The problem with the 'story' about P. Xanadu is that it`s inflorescences
(and all other structures!) bear NO resemblance to P. 'selloum', which has a
HUGE, all-green, pointed banana-like spathe, over 20" long, and produces
multiple inflorescences over a very long 'season', while P. Xanadu bears
three or four, generally less, small, 5-6", shiny PURPLE cigar-like
inflorescences all together at once over a very short period of time, and
just the top of the spathe opens around the cream, round tip of the spadix.
When I first saw the P. Xanadu in bloom, I started a discussion on this
List, and Scott Hyndman very kindly provided details from the patent
application (?) which said that the plant originated from a random seed of
P. selloum in the collection of an Australian hobbiest couple, the
Winterbourns.   Letters to them from both Dr. Tom Croat and myself asking
for more details have gone un-answered so far.  (maybe an Australian member
of this list may have sucess if he/she were to personally contact them??)
Dr. Croat and myself believe this to possibly be a true, 'good' species, and
I personally believe the story about P. 'selloum' to not be true, and
suspect that the seed may be of a good species sent to Australia from some
Latin American Country.   THE way to test this would be to pollenate one P.
Xanadu bloom with another and obtain seed.   When/IF these grew up, we would
be able to observe if any of these first generation plantlets diverged from
the growth habit of the parents, which would indicate that the parent plants
are hybrids.   PLEASE someone, assist in this easy experiment!

Good growing,
and Cheers!

>Hi Derek
Philodendron selloum was reduced to synonomy under P. bipinnatifidum, by Dr
Mayo in his revision of Philodendron subgenus Meconostigma, published in the
Bulletin in the early 90's. Simon is the "guru" of this subgenus which
the "tree trunk self headers" as they are commonly called. He also reduced a
others to synonomy under this name including, if I recall, P.lundii and
P.mello-barretoanum. So this is the generally accepted revision and it would
that calling this plant P.selloum is not valid. But getting all the
nurseries to
change - well, good luck!

As for your post on Philodendron "Xanadu", this has been well discussed
before in
the list. Suggest you also check the list archives. It is an Australian
hybrid/sport/variety that is claimed to derive from P.bipinnatifidum, but
has a
different flower, different foliage and is about one quarter the size!
Boos had some info on this and I'm sure he'll care to comment further. Well
Neil Crafter
Adelaide, Australia