Re: Typhonium violifolium scented or unscented

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Typhonium violifolium scented or unscented
  • From: Don Martinson <llmen@execpc.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:26:23 -0500 (CDT)

>Just a quick comment.....
>However..... many people cannot smell the perfume.  People seem either to
>be able to or not able to.  There is just something about the perfume.
>Nurserymen warn customers that they may or may not be able to smell it, it
>is that common for people not to be able to.

The subject of tasters vs. non-tasters (or in this case, smellers vs.
non-smellers) is well documented in biology.    For years, we have
known that for a very bitter substance, PTU (propyl thiouracil),
there are those who can and who cannot taste the bitterness.  As part
of my independent studies program as an undergraduate, I found that
this ability (as far as PTU was concerned) was inherited as a
dominant gene in rats.  It would be interesting to note if the same
held true for other "sensors vs non-sensors".
Paul, are your spouse and children (if applicable) able to smell Boronia?

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin