Re: Homalomena wallisii, Commercial Foliage Growers perspective

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Homalomena wallisii, Commercial Foliage Growers perspective
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:28:02 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Geoff:

I've tried several clones of the Homalomena wallissii. As beautiful as
it is as a Foliage Plant when grown well, the range of environmental
conditions in which it prefers to live is very narrow. If the
temperatures went below 58 Degrees F. in the Winter it got burned
patches in the middle of the leaves; if it got too hot in the Summer it
got burned on the edges of the leaves. It liked 90% shade and did well
under the benches. Since I grow Commercial foliage plants it was very
hard to sell something whose foliage always had blemishes. After the
plants had camped out on my benches for a year and a half I finally
ended up throwing the remaining 200 plants in the rubbish heap. So what
does this plant need to do well; High humidity,  temperatures in the
human comfort zone, a good, well drained organic soil mix not too wet,
and moderate amounts of fertilizer. Maybe someone who is Hobbiest would
give you a different perspective on this plant than I.

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens
Homestead Florida