RE: hardiness of Sauromatum/T. horsefieldii ?

     Unfortunately that's a very complex issue.  In general, higher
altitude means lower zone.  However, its complicated by whether or not you
are talking about East or West Coast, proximity to a large body of water
(especially upwind of the site), etc.  For instance, there are pockets of
zone 6 in close proximity to Lake Ontario which are surrounded by zone 5.
 These pockets are at the same general altitude, they happen to lie in the
"snow shadow" of the lake on the prevailing winds.  You see the same thing
in southern New York State where the Chenango River meets up with the
Susquehanna.  Right at the river, its zone 5b (borders on the edge of 6)
while most of the remainder of the county is zone 4.  Forty or 50 miles
away to the south, west or north its zone 5b again and these areas are
typically higher in elevation.  While I lived in that area, I had a devil
of a time adapting to the climate.  All the stuff which was supposed to be
hardy in the "area" struggled.  We finally gave up and stuck with only zone
4.  Here in Atlanta, the city center is nearly a zone warmer than the
surrounding suburbs.  To the south of the city its lower elevation, to the
north higher yet the area 30 miles south of the city has distinctly colder