Re: Typhoniums, scented and hardy

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Typhoniums, scented and hardy
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:55:50 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Steve,

hey, I am NOT killing species, only misleading names. And Typhonium
diversifolium and alpinum are here to stay. When the altitude data by Deni
are as they are, you may indeed suggest that they are temperate. However, be
careful here because there may also be low altitude material of the same
species, and those may not be that hardy. T. horsfieldii is a case in pint,
being found also at near sea-level in other parts of its geographic range.
We may want to have a bit of input here from Peter Boyce (he's in the USA
right now, so maybe later) who has cultivated several of my Typhonium clones
on his window sill.

Then there is Typhonium brevipes (once Sauromatum), whihc is a Himalayan
thing and the recently described Sauromatum gaologongense (recombined in
Typhonium by Peter and me in the next Aroidena), which is also a submontane
thing. Point is: how do we GET them............?