Amorphophallus gigas at Fairchild 8/4/2000

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Amorphophallus gigas at Fairchild 8/4/2000
  • From: "FTG Conservatory, Craig Allen" <conserv@netrox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 00:36:03 -0500 (CDT)

The latest measurements of the fast growing inflorescence of the
Amorphophallus gigas at 5 PM 8/4/2000, Fairchild Tropical Garden, Miami,
Florida:

Plant 941491E  = 91 inches The spadix has emerges from the spathe which is
beginning to open. It could possible start releasing the infamous odor by
this weekend.

Plant 941491C = 78.5 inches This inflorescence has an incredibly thick
peduncle. It is probably going to be the tallest plant I have bloomed so
far. The spadix is still completely hidden with in the spathe. I imagine
this plant will have to be moved to a location with a little higher ceiling.

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road