Re: hardiness of Amorphophallus konjac

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: hardiness of Amorphophallus konjac
  • From: Brian Brady <citromatic@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 00:17:36 -0500 (CDT)

Those wacky konjacs.  I'm about to try some
outdoors since I'm now knee deep in bulblets.
I'm in Seattle, and here in the city we get one
or two light frosts per winter and rarely below
30 degrees F.

My big konjac started out grapefruit size and put
up a stunning 3-foot petiole.  The cat pulled
down the blinds and snapped off the trunk, and
now a week later I found a new shoot deep in the
pot!  Also found zillions of bulblets here &
there too.

I'm wondering if I have a new "replacement"
petiole coming or a bloom...  Any thoughts?

Regards,
Brian Brady
Seattle, WA USA