Re: hardiness of Amorphophallus konjac

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: hardiness of Amorphophallus konjac
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@clark.net>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 13:02:56 -0500 (CDT)

Diana,

It has survived outside in my garden for the last four winters -
admittedly relatively mild ones, but temps have stayed in the low
teens at night to highs in the low 20s (F) for a couple of weeks
during them.  It is in a protected spot at the base of an east facing
bank and autumn leaves pile up there and are left where they fall.
It is very late to emerge - June, I think, just when I've given up on
it.  Never has bloomed, but this year, three stems are up in place of
the normally single one.  I am in cold zone 7 - USDA map says 6b, but
I don't agree, given some of the plants that winter over for me with
little effort.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@clark.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Deciduous Flowering Shrubs - Part 4, Hydrangeas Part
1
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/222
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/category.cfm/gardening