Re: non-aroid question

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: non-aroid question
  • From: Dean Sliger <deanslgr@juno.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 11:40:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 01:27:46 -0500 (CDT) "Julius Boos"
<ju-bo@email.msn.com> writes:
> Looks to ME like they are being grown under too 'stressful',
> unnatural
> conditions with not enough nutrients in the water!   They do NOT
> grow in
> fountains with rushing, clear water.

I agree.  It also looks like the plants are anchored or something to keep
them in that spot.  Otherwise in that situation it looks like they'd just
bob up and down with the waterfall.  These are floating plants; if they
have to be anchored to stay in place that's they're way of saying, "We'd
prefer to be elsewhere."  ;-)

Also, I see the petioles are really long and thin, and the plants
generally lanky.  These are recently purchased, right?  They look like
plants that have been growing indoors -- such as a nursery or aquarium
store -- for a while.  It could just be that they're sunburned.   Even
water hyacinths need a period of "hardening off" when taken from indoors
before being placed in full sun.