Re: non-aroid question

-----Original Message-----
From: Lester Kallus <lkallus@earthlink.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Saturday, August 19, 2000 2:43 AM
Subject: non-aroid question

Dear Les,

Looks to ME like they are being grown under too 'stressful', unnatural
conditions with not enough nutrients in the water!   They do NOT grow in
fountains with rushing, clear water!   Try a still, warm, pond-like setting
with LOTS of nitrogen in the water (from the fish wastes) in full sun or
brighter light!
Some folks may not realise that living plants will not tollerate any
chemicals added to the fountain water to 'keep it clear'!   He/she may have
added chlorine tablets, which will burn the delicate roots and cause the new
leaves to go 'white', then kill it.

>>>A friend of mine asked for help identifying the disease on some of his
plants.  (OK, all you folks from down south, I now expect a round of "why do
you bother with those, we throw them away")

He brought home a few water hyacinths.  They were supposedly doing perfectly
fine in the pond from which he got them.  He says that within just a couple
days, the leaves began to turn white and all growth stopped.

Here's a photo of the dwindling plants:

Given the variegation (especially that on the two-tone leaf), I thought this
might be a virus.  Does anyone out there have any other ideas?