RE: A. bulbifer question

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: RE: A. bulbifer question
  • From: "newton" <newton@coiinc.com>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:29:13 -0500 (CDT)

Dear fellow aroiders:

It has been HOT in the upper Midwest this past week. Not the 120 southwest
hot but the 95 with 98% humidity hot. Just thinking about it makes me sweat.

Anyway, in one of my daring trips outside to save the lives, just in the
nick of time, of my various greens, I noticed that my 2" dia. A. bulbifer is
sending up a small shoot from the base of the leaf. While I find that
nothing new in the way of aroid behavior surprises me anymore, I had not yet
seen this event from this plant.

Q:  How common is this behavior? Plenty of pot space, mild fertilizer and
full sun. I do see where Aroideana states leaf can be in pairs. Does it NEED
this new leaf? Will I develop a larger bulb if I prune the new growth? Will
the Cubs ever do any better?