Re: Amorphophallus konjac

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus konjac
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@clark.net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:18:18 -0500 (CDT)

IMHO, it would be climate dependent.  In my cold part of USDA z. 7,
my one tuber (which has never bloomed) has survived in the ground for
about 4 or maybe 5 years.  I noticed last year that there are now 3
stems coming up...not exactly rampant growth, let alone "invasive".
It emerges so late that each year I'm certain I've lost it.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@clark.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article:  Invasive! ... ?
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
> Does anyone know if this multiplication applies in its ground
growth as
> well?  I planted out one (well we think it is one ...... bought as
Amorph
> abyssinicus but we figure most likely a konjac clone slightly
different
> from others I have) into my garden this season.  The main tuber has
tripled
> this year (and hopefully will tripple again next season and then
flower)
> but I didn't even attempt to find offsets.  I assume there were
some, but
> in th ground the chances of finding would be pretty small.
>
> Hopefully someone out there has experiences they can share.  Sounds
wierd
> to be asking whether an Amorphophallus is invasive, but I certainly
think a
> worthwhile question to get answered.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Paul Tyerman
> Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8/9
> mailto:ptyerman@ozemail.com.au
>
> Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus,