Re: Re: Amorphophallus konjac

  • Subject: Re: Re: Amorphophallus konjac
  • From: mburack@mindspring.com
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:21:16 -0500 (CDT)

Ummmmmm I think you all are forgetting something.....
Lets all remember a very important fact here....... There are LOTS of plants (tuberous and otherwise) that "offset" to a great degree...

Do they become "invasive weeds"?

Not normally.

There really isnt anything "specacular" about A. konjac and its vegetative reproductive habits.....'many' plants exhibit that kind of behavior. Have you ever tried to remove caladiums after they have been planted out in a garden bed?  Well if not, let me tell you... it is a trick unto itself... and NOBODY worries that they will become invasive.

Regardless... I am convinced that once you have a colony growing....they will rot (as some ALWAYS do) as fast as they reproduce which will certainly keep them in check.

Marc Burack