Re: Amorphophallus konjac

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus konjac
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:52:32 -0500 (CDT)

I've had konjac outdoors here for 10 years or so (NW Arkansas, nominally
USDA zone 6). They survive with ease, apparently not minding either the
annual summer baking (+40 C, no rain for weeks) or winter soaking (-25 C
overnight, occasionally, usually more like -20 to -15 C, but with most of
our rain, no snow cover).

They are persistent, yes - it's difficult to get all the little offsets
when you dig them. But I don't see how they could really be invasive. The
offsets don't get more than a few inches from the parent, and the seeds
are way too heavy to carry on the wind.

So while the clumps get thicker, with more shoots, the actual area
involved doesn't really get much bigger unless I am involved, digging and
replanting. In fact, if I don't get in there and spread them out, they
cease to do as well after a year or two - self-limiting from the crowding,
I suppose.

While we're on the subject, since konjac is the only Amorphophallus I can
grow outdoors year round, I'm still interested in locating some of the
"giant" or "dwarf" clones, if anyone can point me in the right direction.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu