Re: Source for Philodendrons

  • Subject: Re: Source for Philodendrons
  • From: "Road Runner" <chammer@cfl.rr.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 15:23:56 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Carol Ann.  Russ in central Fla here, member of the Aroid Society
discussion group.  I had your email
from the end of May still saved on my computer, and wondered if you had any
luck in obtaining the
Syngonium you wanted.  I assume the 'highly dissected' form you requested
would simply be a fully mature tip cutting.  You probably already know this:
After climbing a tree or post to maturity, leaves go from small and
entire, to larger and dissected 3, 5, 7, 9 lobes.  If the tip becomes
disengaged from the surface it will start to go back to the immature, entire
leaf form with much more distance between nodes; a 'runner' if you will,
until it
finds another surface to climb.  Philodendrons change form when they climb
also, some develop huge leaves, also the common yellow variegated 'Pothos'.
At any rate, I can send you any number of this form of S. podophyllum.  I
grows like a weed on my mother's lattice privacy fence in Cocoa Beach, and
can be quite
invasive here.  I have a large collection of rare Aroids, mostly
Philodendron, Syngonium, Monstera, Alocasia, Aglaonema, etc.  I think the
white variegated form of S. podophyllum would be more decorative for
your greenhouse, and it will become dissected also, but in a much smaller
form that the all green type, which
can get leaves a foot or more across.  I could send this in immature form
also, or others if you're interested.

Good growing,
Russ.