Re: Source for Philodendrons

  • Subject: Re: Source for Philodendrons
  • From: "Road Runner" <chammer@cfl.rr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:13:03 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Carol Ann.
To my knowledge, there are no Syngoniums that start out life with leaves
dissected more than 2 lobes.  Like Philodendrons, climbing to maturity
causes it.   Your white-variegated Syngonium (that's the podophyllum
variegata I mentioned before) will dissect and is very pretty in that form.
Those I've seen have not had larger
leaves than in the entire form, but they've only been on short bark poles.
I have Epipremnum pinnatum
in a very small 'runner' type form, and it will develop the highly dissected
leaves you mention, but leaves may
get larger than you want at several feet.  It is also very fast.  I would be
happy to send you a selection of
6 to 8 vining type Philodendrons, all rare to anyone but collectors, for you
to try.

The ''my greenhouse is too small and there's too many plants in there''
syndrome you have is like the common
cold among us greenhouse owners---at some point you're gonna get it.
I am about 20 miles north of Orlando in the Lake Mary/Sanford area.  Still
too cold in the winter here, I spent
my early years (a long time ago) in Orlando and had forgotten how cold it
gets here when I moved back from
San Antonio in 93.  My brother is in Homestead and I do envy his growing
conditions there.  Maybe when
I retire (for the 2nd time) in perhaps 3 yrs I'll go that direction.  I was
in the Air Force for 21 yrs and used to
lug as much of my plant collection as I could with me on reassignments.
Some of my Philo's go back to 1979.

Anyway, let me know Carol Ann.  My primary interest right now other than
Aroids is Sansevierias, I have
perhaps 150 different species, sports and hybrids.  I have a very large
succulent collection, but I'm 'trying
to quit' on those.  Definitely having withdrawal symptoms.  I can send you
the plants if you would reimburse the Priority postage.  Just pay whatever
postage is on the box when you get it, probably $3.95.

Take care,
Russ.