Re: Amorphophallus cuttings

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus cuttings
  • From: "Alan Galloway" <alan_galloway@ncsu.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 16:07:59 -0500 (CDT)

> Can someone clue me in as to how to start Amorphs from leaf cuttings? Can
> the bulbs be divided such as a begonia?

The process that I've used in the past is somewhat different that what
others use.
I only use the petiole.  Take a healthy petiole, cut it up into 3 to 4 inch
and verically place them in a container of fine pine bark and perlite
(50/50) and
keep them warm and moist (I place the pot in a trash bag in the shade)  Over
a period of about 6 weeks the petiole cuttings will begin rotting on the
top, but
at the end of 6 weeks a tuber will have formed and start to send up a leaf.

This process doesn't work for all species, but seems to be more successful
with those species where the petiole tissue is dense.