Re: Amorphophallus cuttings

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus cuttings
  • From: "Alan Galloway" <alan_galloway@ncsu.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:49:28 -0500 (CDT)

> >I only use the petiole.  Take a healthy petiole, cut it up into 3 to 4
inch
> >sections
>
> This process obviously removes a fresh new leaf.  What does this do to the
> tuber that you have removed it from?  Amorphs only send up one leaf each
> season generally don't they?  Does that tuber without the leaf then die
> because it can't feed for that growing season?

Paul,
There are many species that send up multiple petioles.  And there are some
species that typically only send up only one petiole, but when that petiole
is injured (or removed) they will then send up a replacement petiole.  And
I suspect there are some species  that will not send up a replacement
petiole.

My experient involved Amorphopahllus coaetaneus (just recently rename from
A. arnautovii) which typically has more that one petiole and also typically
keeps that petiole for up to 3 years, hence it being described as
being evergreen.

The point that you made is also probably accurate.  Depending on the
size of the tuber and what point in time of its growth cycle the petiole was
removed, may cause its demise.

Alan