Re: [aroid-l] IAS newsletter

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] IAS newsletter
  • From: "Ron Iles" roniles@eircom.net
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 01:48:44 +0100

Thank you Krysz, you re-iterate what I suggested this in the June 2001 NL.
Then some Members wanted Hard Copy & some apparently were not on line
anyway.   To download low resolution (!) Newsletters here takes the best
part of an hour.  Our Irish lines give up on high resolution Newsletters.
Megabyte Newletters are impossible.  Can one not compress so that complete
newsletters are quickly downloadable?  OR as I originally suggested, could
there be single page news daily?  Surely those could be quickly dowloaded
AND printed at high resolution.  Then the restriction of 12 pages quarterly
for the only public "Members Only" DIALOGUE which I could not agree could be

At present we do not have a choice between electronic & paper copy.  The
last Newsletters on line are those I edited in Autumn 2001.   2002 issues
are only available in snail mail copy in black & white.   So - please when
will 2002 Newsletters  be on line in a most easily downloadable form?   Some
of us who prefer electronic copy can then waive the offer of snail-mailed
paper if we know the waiver procedure?     As I suggested amongst many
things in 2002 is it not possible to make a weekly/daily IAS "News" Site, a
MEMBERS DIALOGUE, quickly dowloadable in short bursts?  For instance
"Minutes", "Reports", "Accounts" "Articles" could be available TOPICALLY in
a day or so not months later.  At the risk of censure why not call such an
evolved site "Proceedings of the International Aroid Society"?
Incidentally, I hear that the snail mail version I oft requested in colour
is now seemingly scheduled from the next issues on?

So when the first three 2002 Newsletters are on line, which Members do & do
not want Hard Copy?   Please can a survey be done in Hard Copy Newsletter
2002 (4) to reach those who are not on line?  Oh & amongst other logistic
suggestions, & since some of us have not been listed as Members since 2000
AD, on the Members "News" Site would it be a good idea to have a running
list of who is, was, will be & won't be?  Please?

Finally, to avoid confusion here in Ireland I received NL 2002(2) thank you
but not yet 2002 (3).

Ron Iles

That was mainly in response to what Krzysztof wrote

"Since the newsletter is supposed to be available in the member's
area, which nowadays should be accessible by anyone with access to
internet (and thus most, if not all IAS members who are also
subscribed to aroid-l), why are hardcopies being sent to everyone?
How do I opt out of receiving hardcopies and save IAS some wasted
postage $$?"