Re: [aroid-l] images on Aroid-l

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] images on Aroid-l
  • From: SelbyHort@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:00:26 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/2002 8:58:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
SLCooper@scj.com writes:

> I've never heard of viruses being sent via a .jpg file
> If you receive an exe file just delete it.

There are viruses out there that "appear" to be jpg image files, since they
come into your mailbox with the standard .jpg extension. However, they are
disguised and are actually executable files. There are other ways to disguise
executable files. A link in an HTML formatted email message can turn out to
be a link to a web site that will download a virus or some nasty spyware or
keystroke copier to your computer as soon as you click on it (before the web
page even loads and you are aware that it is a bogus/harmful link).

I think it is a good thing that we have a moderated list. This question has
come up many times and I believe that if we had an unmoderated list, we will
all be seeing a lot more "junk" on this list. The moderators help filter that
out. I have never felt that their primary purpose is to screen content posted
by newslist subscribers, but they do block undesirable junk mail that worms
its way in. Also, sometimes people inadvertantly post to the list when the
message is really intended to be sent privately. The moderators sometimes
will re-direct messages that are incorrectly sent to the entire list and so
help avoid someone's embarassment. The moderators also detect problems in the
list and help correct those problems before we are all hit with them, thus
making the list run more smoothly. I feel a delay in the list postings during
problem periods is far preferable than being hit with lots of duplicated
messages or some other glitch that would only bring about a rash of irrate
messages being posted. Being a moderator is a thankless job, but we should be
aware that there is great usefulness in having a moderated list.

Most of us do not need to have split-second postings on this list. Perhaps
someone could start an unmoderated chat room for aroid enthusiasts to satisfy
those who need instant response with no censorship. This would take some
discussion elsewhere, no doubt, but would provide a solution for those people
who do not want a moderated list and who wish to get in touch with a group
simulanteously. However just don't expect all of us to migrate there and
abandon this list.

It is not just the "offshore" folks who have slow connections. I am unable to
achieve connection speeds of anything above 26K, even though I have a new
computer with a fast modem and a new phone line dropped from the pole. The
problem in rural areas of the US is that many places have very old phone line
equipment and the phone companies are not interested in upgrading them for
internet, since they only guaranteee voice connections on these lines. I have
called Verizon repeatedly and they simply have no announced plans to upgrade
any of their lines in the upper NE (probably not in my lifetime). DSL or
cable is not even available where I live so I have no other options other
than to move! Semi-affordable satellite still requires a phone connection and
line of sight to the southern sky, which I don't have since there is a
mountain in the way. If you live in a metro area you have lots of options,
but not everyone lives in a large city. I would probably not even want to
download image attachments posted to the list since too many people would
attach very large files. If I wanted to see any images referred to in
messages on this newslist, I would rather go to a web site.

So much for my opinion.

Donna